How We Work
The Bainum Family Foundation is a private operating foundation, which means we both directly operate (using our own staff, facilities and partnerships) and support (through other organizations) programs in our area of interest.
As an operating foundation, we work hand in hand with our partner organizations and partner communities to achieve our shared goals. Specifically, our operating status enables us to:
- Direct programs and activities that are aligned with our philanthropic mission
- Engage directly and regularly with partner organizations and communities
- Leverage our investments by encouraging others to join with us supporting children and families who have been systematically excluded from opportunity
Our Partner-Selection Process
We do not accept unsolicited proposals nor do we use a request-for-proposal (RFP) process. Instead, we identify potential partners best suited to help us accomplish our desired impact in a particular area. We then conduct background research on the target organization(s) to ensure the following criteria are met:
- Alignment with the Foundation’s mission and strategic goals
- Demonstration of strong performance and positive impact within the community
- Dedicated and highly effective leadership and strong governance
If the results of the due diligence process are favorable, the foundation will invite the applicant to apply for support using the foundation’s online portal. This process involves completing an online application, not submitting a proposal.
The length of the vetting process varies based on the size of the investment and the nature of the partnership, but on average typically takes between one to three months. Because we are an operating foundation, the Foundation’s investments are not traditional grants.